Sunday, January 23, 2011

danger.

Sometimes, I do dangerous things.
I stand with my big toes on the yellow line you're supposed to stay behind when the train is coming.
I cross the street when the hand is still flashing.
I wait to do homework until 5 minutes before it's due.
I wear tights when it's below zero.

But. I'm still a paranoid person.
I don't like being places alone.
When I was little, I was afraid to walk to the pool. (My parents still tease me.)
Unfortunately, I am often in areas I deem 'sketchy' by myself.

Now, I deemed my neighborhood sketchy as a young teen, and I live in a nice area. So, let's not believe anything I'm actually saying.

I was in Highland Park today shopping for a new dress (fail. I got a shirt and socks instead) and doing some homework (another fail. I had a mocha and got on facebook instead) and I was whistled at. And saw every sketchy looking male alive. These sketchy males ranged from well dressed business men to the homeless, and some were also women. So, everyone I saw was sketchy to me. (Have I said sketchy enough?)

I am eternally confused at 'the whistle'. Why do men whistle? What are you going to accomplish with that? You're just creepy. Maybe that's what they're trying to accomplish. Creepiness.

I was telling my dad about this incident and he told me I should not dress like I do when I'm alone. I realized that this is probably true.

The dress I wore today needed a slip-y thing under it to lengthen it. A fact I forgot because of a 2 month hiatus I had from my closet. I was just excited to have my dresses back, but forgot about their individual needs.

It is, however, true. My dress was great, but slightly short. My all-knowing father also commented on my red hat and coat and tights and boots which make me stand out.

It does. I'm not trying to be obnoxious and say I'm hot shit so everyone on the street wants to attack me. However, I wouldn't be whistled at if I was dressed down a notch.

Yesterday, on the train, these annoying men made fun of me for getting off at Lake Forest. They said it was 'obvious' because of my attire. I am not offended. LF is a classy place, and I was glad I exuded that air.

So. What's a girl to do? Wear my jammies so I'm safe?
Meet in the middle and wear jeans?
Meet a quarter of the way and wear proper-length-ed dresses?

I don't know. I like danger. (Kind of.)

Here is kind of what I wore today. I didn't take pictures. But, I'm kind of wearing a similar thing in this picture...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This picture is in Central Park. My friend goes to NYU and she took this. I know I am posing weirdly, but I have trouble being serious with her. She's that friend that I remember things we did and I'm embarrassed even to think it. As if someone can read my mind about the embarrassing incident I'm thinking of.

I wore a different belt today and different boots, both of which are from Anthropologie.
The boots in this picture are Steve Madden and the belt is from Urban Outfitters.
Dress-Madewell, Sweater-Anthropologie.

*Note- I'm wearing the proper slip in this picture, which is Free People.

I also didn't need a coat.
I miss those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment